Tuesday, December 12, 2006

This Little Piggy Is Coming Home...

.
With the movie Charlotte's Web coming out in theatres soon, I've noticed tons of movie tie-in products, such as the already sold-out Wilbur dolls and re-packaged versions of the children's book. In fact, FAO has a Massive Wilbur Piggybank for $6,000, which is insane for something so fugly and infinitely UN-adorable. My favorite find isn't affiliated with the movie at all, but it's the cutest piggy bank I have ever seen.

“It’s the size of a toaster,” says designer Harry Allen, “or of a real piglet.” He should know. His cast-resin piggy banks, which will be sold at the Institute of Contemporary Art’s gift shop when it opens next week, were modeled from an actual baby pig – it died of natural causes. The finishing is where reality takes a back seat: Allen’s banks come painted in gold, chrome, or pink. (Metallic pigs cost $150 at the ICA gift shop; pink, $95.) “I’ve had the widest range of reactions,” Allen says of his play on the classic toy for kids. “But I think it might be a little creepy for kids.”

I checked the website, but the online store isn't ready yet. I can't wait to get my hands on one. Not only is it cute, but one of my biggest hang-ups is the inability to save up, so this nice gold pig will be there to remind me every day. Oink oink!!!

The Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston

No comments: